Falling is not an inevitable part of growing older
Every year in Wales between 230,000 and 460,000 older people fall. Too often these falls blight the lives of older people, resulting in serious injury which can lead to loss of confidence, loneliness and isolation.
It doesn’t have to be this way, with many falls being preventable.
Steady On … Stay SAFE is Ageing Well in Wales’ national falls awareness campaign, run in conjunction with partners including Public Health Wales, Age Cymru, Care & Repair, RNIB and Welsh Government.
The campaign highlights three simple ways of how you can reduce the risk of falling for yourself, your friends, your family, and your neighbours:
- Stay active and stay strong
- If you fall, tell someone
- Be aware of trip hazards in and outside the home
We need your help to spread the message of Steady On … Stay SAFE, and make a real difference to the lives of thousands of older people.
Get in touch, and we’ll send you a pack of all the materials you need to be able to raise awareness in your local area.
We’re looking for people willing to go and speak to local businesses, groups and clubs to raise awareness.
We also want to hear from you if you’re already involved with a group or activity that helps keep people active and reduce their risk of falling. The Steady On … Stay SAFE materials are designed to help you promote what you do locally, whether it be shoe-fitting, nail-cutting services, walking clubs, eye care or dance classes!
What’s in the packs?
- Steady On … Stay SAFE postcards and a poster which you can use to raise awareness and also to advertise your own service or group.
- A guide to Steady On … Stay SAFE explaining background information, and ideas on how to use the materials.
- A Directory of Local Services you can refer people to.
- 8 Myths About Falls – a leaflet that debunks the idea that falls are an inevitable part of ageing, and that there isn’t anything you can do to reduce your risk of falling.
Help us reduce the number of falls suffered by older
people in Wales. Contact us for more information or to get a campaign pack sent
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02920 445 030